Posts

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Ready for Pick Up!

My latest quilt, Dress Form Silhouette, is finished as of today and my customer will be picking it up on Friday.  I'm excited and I believe she is too.

Since I last posted, quilting, binding, and making the quilt label was all that was left to do, but schedule differences seemed to be the most challenging aspect in completing the project.  You see, she works evenings and because of this there was a considerable amount of waiting in between email and text messages for customer input and/or approval of the remaining tasks.
 
Because my client wanted a soft feel to the quilt, I did minimal quilting--only outlining the blocks and borders--and then I made a simple quilt label.  The label acknowledges the recipient's service and mention is also made of  my client's design input.  My customer found this idea rather amusing but facts are facts; it's a custom quilt and she provided input along the way.  The collaboration was a lot of fun and being a part of such a special acknowledgment made this project very rewarding.

Here's a close-up of the front:




Here's the back:


Here's the quilt label:




And here's a closer view of the quilting:






The recipient will certainly enjoy the softness and comfort while reading, watching television, or working on her own sewing projects.


 
Now on to a quilt for my daughter . . .
  

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Commissioned Quilt "Dress Form Silhouette"

I have been commissioned to make a lap quilt for a client who is planning to give it to a special lady who started a food pantry at her church and who has brought on board quite a few church members to assist her in her efforts.  According to my client, the future recipient also loves to sew and likes neutral colors, so the client and I came up with a design that will not only keep her warm but also reflects her hobby.  The quilt will need to be ready by the end of the month, which is when church members plan to give it to her.  I've begun the actual quilting of the layers using "stitch in a ditch," and I am pleased with how it is turning out.  Even though it is still pinned and obviously there is more quilting to do, I thought I would give you a peek.




Here is a close-up of the silhouettes. 



More quilting and then binding and then I'll be back to show the finished product.