Monday, October 8, 2012

Cubic Rhythm

My daughter has been wanting me to make her a quilt and has been waiting patiently for months without saying a word.  Finally, she couldn't stand it any longer and said, "When are you going to make ME a quilt?"  I responded by saying, "Go through my books and pick out a pattern and I'll make one for you."  To my surprise, she picked out a pattern that I would have never imagined she would want.  An overwhelming sense of relief suddenly came over me because I was thinking, whew, I'm sure glad I didn't take it upon myself to select a pattern and fabrics--I would have totally missed the mark. The pattern she selected is called "Cubic Rhythm" from Better Homes and Gardens Easy Quilt Projects copyright 2010.  I admit I was a little dismayed when she first showed it to me (I guess I had something else in mind), but I went on to ask her about the colors she would want as well.  At first she said she wanted the colors similar to the Dress Form Silhouette quilt--the quilt I had just finished for my client.  I then let out a small  groan because while I wanted to make her a quilt with the colors she likes, I was also wanting to use fabrics from my stash.  Unfortunately I did not have enough leftover fabric from my previous project.  So reality set in and I compromised by using as much as I could from my stash pulling out a muted abstract stripe with greys, blues and greens, two florals --one blue and one brown, and then I purchased three fabrics: one print with browns, greys, and greens, and two solids - a dusty blue and green.

I have completed piecing the top, modifying it just a tad . . . and she likes it!  Here's a preview.




I'll be back when it's finished.

1 comment:

  1. Brian, I've replied to you by email. I'm looking forward to hearing from you so we can chat.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment or ask questions, I would be happy exchange ideas and thoughts . . .